Versio™ Platform is the industry’s first cloud-native, microservices-based and modular playout solution designed from the ground-up for pure-IP, geo-dispersed environments based on commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) hardware.
Powered by Zenium™, Imagine’s groundbreaking approach to technical adoption, this next-generation media workflow platform enables your organization to create a custom playout solution that truly fits your needs, accelerate the launch of new services to unlock revenue potential, and adapt more quickly to market dynamics.
The modular nature of Versio Platform enables media companies to select from an industry-leading variety of functionality, operational modes and deployment models, including premises-based, cloud (private or public) or hybrid. Businesses can choose functionality, including playout engine, I/Os, automation and graphics, and can incrementally implement numerous value-added options such as advanced audio track routing, multi-language captioning, UHD and proxy generation, on an as-needed basis.
Breaking new ground in ease of use, Versio Platform features an intuitive, HTML5-based user interface that provides simplified access to content workflows and playlist, enabling media companies to navigate through every aspect of their operations using a single and familiar UI.
- Only cloud-native, microservices-based solution on the market (Powered by Zenium™)
- Unified, intuitive user interface for faster functional flexibility
- Scalable, future-proof, modular solution designed to provide a custom fit to all installations
- Choice of CapEx and OpEx operational models
- Supports geo-dispersed operations
- Works on-premises and in private or public cloud deployments
- Supports both baseband and IP, as well as hybrid IP/SDI scenarios
- Supplants traditional monolithic architectures with cloud-native, microservices design that maximizes agility
- Reduces infrastructure costs and virtualizes master control
At the core of every Versio Platform design sits Versio Core Services, which offers the basic features required for all Versio Platform deployments. Versio Core Services includes base service layers necessary for operation, such as core management services, database infrastructure layers and an essential service layer, including a messenger service.
Another essential tool of Versio Core Services is Versio Content Portal, which is used for content management for media preparation and distribution (more detail below).
- 3 Channels Proxy Transcode (PTCD)
- 3 user workstation licenses, for use with Versio Content Portal, Versio Automation
- Base services layer: Content service, service manager, trigger service, web-socket service
- One (1) Versio Core Services license is required per site, with additional licenses for redundancy
- Software-only component, with hardware sold separately
Part of Versio Core Services, Versio Content Portal provides a common content management layer for linear media preparation and distribution for playout. The solution manages all the required playout elements within a common database, including video, audio, and still and graphic layout content, and enables triggering of several key workflows to improve operational efficiency. A common file orchestration layer provides storage inventory management and file movement.
Versio Content Portal provides core workflows for file ingest/synchronization and multiple levels of human content preparation tasks — from desktop metadata validation and low-resolution proxy QC, to segmentation and graphic marker placement. The ability to define complexity of these upstream content preparation workflows based on the locations of or types of content being managed provides a level of content protection and status management to ensure efficient downstream playout or branding preparation.
Search and filtering capabilities permit users to quickly and effectively determine and locate material that may require additional preparation tasks to be performed. Direct integration of the Content Portal into both Versio Automation and Versio Graphics provides a seamless user experience, with all content available to all operational teams within a playout media preparation and linear origination solution. Files are automatically moved based upon the requirements of users or channel schedules.
- Simplify operations with intuitive, integrated UI
- Manage clips, graphics, layouts
- Move content with Nexio® Motion™ workflows
- Search and filter
- Preview proxy stream — supports growing files
- Prep using trim and segmenting
- Add markers and QC flags
- View and modify metadata
The Versio Platform Playout engine forms the base of a simple playout package. Leveraging Imagine’s industry-leading Nexio+™ library of software-based codecs, Versio Platform enables software-defined applications and delivers exceptional reliability, flexibility and format transparency.
- Can be run in a hybrid SDI I/O or compressed or uncompressed IP deployment
- Supports both receive and transmit of MPEG-2 transport streams
- Supports SMPTE 2022-6 for applications that require extremely low latency
Playout Options available:
Advanced Audio Track Router
Versio Platform Advanced Audio Track Router (AATR) simplifies and, in many instances, replaces downstream audio router needs. ATTR is especially useful when different routing rules must be applied dynamically based on multiple audio profiles present in the media library, or when a customer has complex language requirements.
This option support file-based caption service import and export, which allows for the addition or replacement of captions. This can be used to support multiple languages and avoid the expense of adding a downstream captions inserter. Various captioning options can be added to support Live Input ANC 608/708, OP42/OP47/WST captions and caption extraction to file.
Versio Platform has the ability to view and browse low-resolution proxy files. An optional Proxy Transcoder server automatically converts high-resolution files from an Imagine or third-party storage area network (SAN) into low-resolution H.264 MP4 proxy files. Once transcoded into low resolution, all MP4 proxy files are stored on industry-standard storage arrays where they can be viewed and segmented using Versio Content Portal tools.
Versio Platform offers optional packages for V-Chip insertion, SCTE insertion, ARC processing, and AFD insertion, reducing the need for multiple downstream devices to perform these functions.
Versio Automation is designed from the ground up to support geo-dispersed operations and architected to provide enhanced scalability and modularity. A new Channel landing page provides a simple, high-level overview of all channels and their status. Versio Automation also provides easy-to-navigate clip management and vertical channel workspaces, including advanced secondary event control and horizontal timeline.
- Geo-dispersed operations
- Unified channel management
- Improved interaction
- Web-based applications
- RESTful API layer
- Operational elasticity
- More redundancy options
The Versio Redundancy option provides a flexible, powerful and scalable redundancy solution that keeps up to five channels mirrored and synchronized. Versio Redundancy includes automatic failover based on real-time health and status monitoring.
Versio Redundancy provides a pivot point where customers can begin moving to the cloud. A prime example is providing disaster recovery for business continuity.
- Up to five Versio instances, regardless of physical location, can be configured in a redundant grouping
- Instances can be promoted/demoted in the redundancy hierarchy
- Schedules, manual edits and user actions are automatically propagated across all instances
- As-run logs are annotated and aggregated to denote parent and instance
- Router control on failover
Versio Graphics simplifies the graphics creation process, enabling customers to either create or modify templates using an all-new, intuitive HTML interface with full-motion preview and video overlay. Versio Graphics can create markers and simplified macros, or create more complex graphics using direct import from Adobe® After Effects®, as well as add dynamic-data driver content and real-time tags, including content triggering.
- Simplify graphics creation process with new integrated UI
- Replaces IconStation™ layout designer and current web UIs
- Design basic layouts
- Update RT text tags
- Add Macros including preset “ProgSalvos”
- Define actions and commands
- Preview on-canvas or manually control on-air output
- Manage content
Adobe After Effects integration adds:
- Utilization of industry-standard Adobe AE for creation of rich graphics
- Export from AE to Versio™ .MOV embedded XMP metadata. Can include video files or simply point to graphic and video sources
- Real-time text and graphics replacement using AE metadata maintaining size, position, rotation, opacity, and font
- Real-time DVE metadata from AE (size & position) for live/clip sources
- Sophisticated embedded triggers from AE for interactive playback
- Support for advanced expressions in AE for text behaviors and grouping
- Typical use case – End credit squeeze with credit text from external database
Versio MCS is now available as a component of Versio Platform, and is fully optimized for running in a cloud environment, as well as on standard hardware. Versio MCS provides an intuitive, touchscreen-based master control surface ideal for preparing content for playout or enhancing the look, with simplified control of switching graphics and automation.
In addition to an advanced set of master control solutions that allow for simplified and streamlined workflows from creation to air, Versio MCS provides solutions for single-channel or multiple-channel control.
Versio MCS adds:
- Manual control of Versio advanced switching, graphics and automation
- Single- or multi-channel (group) control
- Control of Versio Advanced Audio Track Router – full audio shuffle support
- UMD and Tally support for Imagine and third-party multiviewers
- Preview and Program thumbnails
- Group Control 1-to-n channels
- Upstream Platinum™ and Magellan™ SDN Orchestrator router control to Versio
- Optional hardware panel
- Full cloud capability
Within Versio Platform, several fundamental workflows are included in the base Versio Automation and Content Portal packages: retrieving missing material, managing storage capacity, copying a file and archiving a file. If more advanced functionality is required, these basic workflow processes can be augmented via the addition of the Workflow Service package.
Workflow Service is a file orchestration solution that automates workflow processes within Versio Platform. The Workflow Service package includes more advanced workflow processes to cover several typical transcoding, file transfer and metadata management use cases. Workflow Service is also required for other complex workflows, such as those that require third-party integration components, or for tailored workflow design and deployments.
The Workflow Service package is recommended when you want to:
- Trigger workflows automatically based on new, updated or deleted media in any tracked storage location
- Schedule tasks at fixed times and dates, or on a periodic basis
- Start workflows from external systems such as Imagine Communications automation and media asset management
- Copy, move, delete, rename, check IDs and retrieve metadata from video file servers and other storage
- Archive, restore and transcode
- Monitor storage usage, and automatically email system administrators
- Query the traffic system to extract a purge list
- Import work order lists of material to process
- Design or modify processes with the user interface-based configuration tools (training and support fees applicable