Versio™ Modular Playout
Versio™ modular playout is a microservices-based solution designed to deliver a tailored fit for system workflows and provide flexibility and scalability in both features and function. The Zenium microservices provides an extensive library of services, features and functions. Versio is also entirely software based providing a suitable solution for virtualized applications.
Powered by Zenium™, Imagine’s groundbreaking approach to technical adoption, this next-generation media workflow platform enables your organization to create a tailored playout solution that truly fits your needs, accelerate the launch of new services to unlock revenue potential, and adapt more quickly to market dynamics.
The modular nature of Versio enables media companies to select from an industry-leading variety of functionality, operational modes and deployment models, including premises-based, cloud (private or public) or hybrid. Businesses can choose functionality, including playout engine, I/Os, automation and graphics, and can incrementally implement numerous value-added options such as advanced audio track routing, multi-language captioning, UHD and proxy generation, on an as-needed basis.
Breaking new ground in ease of use, Versio features an intuitive, web-based user interface (UI) that provides simplified access to content workflows and playlist, enabling media companies to navigate through every aspect of their operations using a single and familiar UI.
- Microservices based solution powered by Zenium™
- Unified intuitive web-based user interfaces for faster functional flexibility
- Hybrid IP / SDI content management and playout solution
- Scalable modular solution designed to provide a tailored fit to all installations
- Future-ready modules
- Cost effectively launch new channels
- Experiment with emerging business models, while maintaining primary revenue streams
- Quickly adapt to changing market dynamics
- Get to air faster and easier with unified UI, database and metadata
- Unlock revenue potential
- Provides exceptional agility and flexibility with its cloud-native microservices design
- Reduces long-term infrastructure costs with future ready components and flexible design.
- Reduces equipment and operational costs by virtualizing master control
At the core of every Versio design sits Versio Core Services, which offers the basic features required for all Versio deployments. Versio Core Services includes base service layers necessary for operation, such as core management services, database infrastructure layers and an essential service layer, including a messenger service.
Another essential tool of Versio Core Services is Versio Content Portal, which is used for content management for media preparation and distribution (more detail below).
- 3 Channels Proxy Transcode
- 3 user workstation licenses, for use with Versio Content Portal, Versio Automation
- Base services layer: Content service, service manager, trigger service, web-socket service
- Software-only component, with hardware sold separately
Part of Versio Core Services, Versio Content Portal provides a common content management layer for linear media preparation and distribution for playout. The solution manages all the required playout elements within a common database, including video, audio, and still and graphic layout content, and enables triggering of several key workflows to improve operational efficiency. A common file orchestration layer provides storage inventory management and file movement.
Versio Content Portal provides core workflows for file ingest/synchronization and multiple levels of human content preparation tasks — from desktop metadata validation and low-resolution proxy QC, to segmentation and graphic marker placement. The ability to define complexity of these upstream content preparation workflows based on the locations of or types of content being managed provides a level of content protection and status management to ensure efficient downstream playout or branding preparation.
Search and filtering capabilities permit users to quickly and effectively determine and locate material that may require additional preparation tasks to be performed. Direct integration of the Content Portal into both Versio Automation and Versio Graphics provides a seamless user experience, with all content available to all operational teams within a playout media preparation and linear origination solution. Files are automatically moved based upon the requirements of users or channel schedules.
- Automate file ingest
- Hi-Res preview
- Profile incoming content
- Define workflows and rules
- Move content with workflows
- Trigger workflows from Versio™ Automation
- Manage life-cycle of content
- Simplify operations with intuitive, integrated HTML 5 based UI
- Manage clips, graphics, layouts
- Search, filter, add markers, QC flags
- Prep/Review using trim and segmenting
- View and modify metadata
- Ingest support - growing file proxy
- Enhanced Preview:
- Audio tracks selection
- Closed caption
- MPEG-Dash support
- Audio profile selection (AATR)
- Updates audio tag
- VChip rating selection
- Management of required playout elements including video, audio, plus still and graphic layout content, within a common database
- Provides ability to trigger several key workflows to improve operational efficiency
- Search and filtering capabilities permit users to quickly and effectively determine and locate material
- Common file orchestration layer provides storage inventory management and file movement
Versio modular playout forms the base of a simple playout package. Leveraging Imagine’s industry-leading Nexio+™ library of software-based codecs, Versio playout enables software-defined applications and delivers exceptional reliability, flexibility and format transparency.
- Can be run in a hybrid SDI I/O or compressed or uncompressed IP deployment
- Supports both receive and transmit of MPEG-2 transport streams
- Supports SMPTE 2022-6 and SMPTE ST 2110 for applications that require extremely low latency
- Future ready, microservices based design
- Optional UHD: 2160p @59.94/50 fps and HDR support
Playout Options available:
Advanced Audio Track Router
Versio’s Advanced Audio Track Router (AATR) simplifies and, in many instances, replaces downstream audio router needs. ATTR is especially useful when different routing rules must be applied dynamically based on multiple audio profiles present in the media library, or when a customer has complex language requirements.
This option support file-based caption service import and export, which allows for the addition or replacement of captions. This can be used to support multiple languages and avoid the expense of adding a downstream captions inserter. Various captioning options can be added to support Live Input ANC 608/708, OP42/OP47/WST captions and caption extraction to file.
Versio has the ability to view and browse low-resolution proxy files. An optional Proxy Transcoder server automatically converts high-resolution files from Imagine or third-party storage into low-resolution proxy files. Once transcoded into low resolution, all proxy files are stored on industry-standard storage arrays where they can be viewed and segmented using Versio Content Portal tools.
Versio offers optional packages for V-Chip insertion, SCTE insertion, ARC processing, and AFD insertion, reducing the need for multiple downstream devices to perform these functions.
Single Channel UHD Integrated Playback & Branding
A single UHD output channel is provided as four-wire 3G SDI. This output can be set to either 2SI (2 sample interleave) or QSD (quad square division) modes. The output includes branding and DVEs with the addition of the UHD Graphics package license.
UHD Live Input
A single UHD live input is accepted as four-wire 3G SDI. This output can be set to either 2SI (2 sample interleave) or QSD (quad-split square division) modes.
A single live UHD input can be recorded to a clip for later playback on the same or different devices. Simultaneous recording and playback is not supported. Recording supports QSD mode only. Record-only configurations do not require an additional license for graphics.
UHD Video Clips
A single clip playback channel supports both HD and UHD. HD playback undergoes high-quality de-interlacing and upconversion to UHD. HD and UHD clips can be played back-to-back on the same channel.
Versio Ingest is now available as a component of Versio modular playout. Versio Ingest provides a highly integrated operational experience from booking, to media prep and QC, to playout, and archive. Versio Ingest can write and/or capture content to external NAS or existing SAN storage.
Versio Ingest Service adds:
- 4 channel-per-server density
- Redundant record bookings
- Crash records and open-ended recordings
- Pool of record ports
- Import of traffic data
- Booking with priorities
- Metadata creation and editing
- Playlist creation and control
- Redundant storage targets
- Baseband ingests with encoding
- Uncompressed video over IP input
- Simultaneous MPEG-DASH proxy for preview while recording
- Advanced Audio Track Router (AATR) integration
- Control of Nexio+ AMP servers
Video Recording Profiles:
- Sony XDCAM HD422 – 25 Mbps
- Sony XDCAM HD422 – 50 Mbps
- Sony XDCAM EX – 18 Mbps
- Sony XDCAM EX – 35 Mbps
- Sony XDCAM HD – 18 Mbps
- Sony XDCAM HD – 35 Mbps
- Sony IMX – 30 Mbps
- Sony IMX – 40 Mbps
- Sony IMX – 50 Mbps
- Panasonic AVC-Intra Class 50
- Panasonic AVC-Intra Class 100
- Avid DNxHD 120
- Avid DNxHD 185
- Sony XAVC-Intra Class 50
- Sony XAVC-Intra Class 100
- Sony XAVC-Intra Class 300
- Sony XAVC-Intra Class 480
- Sony XAVC Long-GOP
- Utilization of all HTML5 web-based interfaces and single user theme
- On-Prem and Remote WAN access
- N+M redundancy scheme across ingest appliance pool
- Priority-based bookings allow for scheduling or emergency records even when the system is 100% utilized
- Automatically deconflicts and ripples ingest schedules as necessary to accomplish booking tasks
- Versio™ economic scalability from small systems and a few users - to large scale distributed systems
- Never miss a story. Ensures critical feeds get prioritized and on-air
- Ensures critical feed ingest and redundancy even in degraded-system states
Versio Automation is designed from the ground up to support geo-dispersed operations and architected to provide enhanced scalability and modularity. A new Channel landing page provides a simple, high-level overview of all channels and their status. Versio Automation also provides easy-to-navigate clip management and vertical channel workspaces, including advanced secondary event control and horizontal timeline.
- Geo-dispersed operations
- Unified channel management
- Monitor by exception
- Web-based applications
- RESTful API layer
- Operational elasticity
- Redundancy options
- BXF import from traffic
- Gang roll support
- Offline List Editing
- Publish list to one or multiple channels
- Copy-paste between offline and live list
- Consolidate events into container groups
- Create manually or from traffic
- Easily expand/collapse and re-order
- Assign SCTE triggers and secondary events
- Find and Replace in current list or selected lists
- GPI Triggers
- Export Missing Media Log
- Channel Preview Window
- System Health Status
The Versio Redundancy option provides a flexible, powerful and scalable redundancy solution that keeps up to five channels mirrored and synchronized. Versio Redundancy includes automatic failover based on real-time health and status monitoring.
Versio Redundancy provides a pivot point where customers can begin moving to the cloud. A prime example is providing disaster recovery for business continuity.
- Up to five Versio instances, regardless of physical location, can be configured in a redundant grouping
- Instances can be promoted/demoted in the redundancy hierarchy
- Schedules, manual edits and user actions are automatically propagated across all instances
- As-run logs are annotated and aggregated to denote parent and instance
- Router control on failover
- Hybrid Automation Support Synchronize Versio Automation and ADC lists
- ADC Device Control Failover: Improved failover handling
- Performance Improvements: Improved skip to next performance
- Quarantine feature
- LRC Router Control
Versio Graphics simplifies the graphics creation process, enabling customers to either create or modify templates using an all-new, intuitive HTML5 web-based interface with full-motion preview and video overlay. Versio Graphics can create markers and simplified macros or create more complex graphics using direct import from Adobe® After Effects®, as well as add dynamic-data driver content and real-time tags, including content triggering.
- Simplify graphics creation process with new integrated UI
- Design basic layouts
- Update RT text tags
- Add Macros including preset “ProgSalvos”
- Define actions and commands
- Preview on-canvas or manually control on-air output
- Manage content
- Adobe After Effects Integration
- Vizrt advanced graphics capabilities
Adobe After Effects integration adds:
- Utilization of industry-standard Adobe AE for creation of rich graphics
- Export .MOV with embedded XMP metadata from AE to Versio™
- Real-time text and graphics replacement using AE XMP metadata maintaining size, position, rotation, opacity, and font
- Real-time DVE metadata from AE (size & position) for live/clip sources
- Sophisticated embedded triggers from AE for interactive playback
- Support for advanced expressions in AE for text behaviors and grouping
- Typical use case – End credit squeeze with credit text from external database
- Track-based view of embedded Adobe AE XMP metadata
- Capitalize on large pool of existing user expertise in After Effects
Versio Master Control Surface (MCS) is available as a component of Versio and is fully optimized for running in a cloud environment, as well as on standard hardware. Versio MCS provides an intuitive, touchscreen-based master control surface ideal for preparing content for playout or enhancing the look, with simplified control of switching graphics and automation.
In addition to an advanced set of master control solutions that allow for simplified and streamlined workflows from creation to air, Versio MCS provides solutions for single-channel or multiple-channel control.
Versio MCS adds:
- Manual control of Versio advanced switching, graphics and automation
- Single- or multi-channel (group) control
- Control of Versio Advanced Audio Track Router – full audio shuffle support
- UMD and Tally support for Imagine and third-party multiviewers
- Preview and Program thumbnails
- Group Control 1-to-n channels
- Upstream Platinum™ and Magellan™ SDN Orchestrator router control to Versio
- Manual control of Zenium microservice components
- Optional hardware panel
- Live panel for dynamic sports operations, including commercial break manipulation
- Updates to real-time graphics
- Cloud capable
Master Control Live Surface:
Versio MCS Live Surface gives operators total control of live sports. The powerful and intuitive panel allows breaks to be inserted, removed and re-ordered across multiple channels. Perfect for use in studios and outside broadcast facilities utilizing its remote-control capabilities.
- Abstracts the traditional linear list.
- Breaks can be inserted and reordered across multiple channels from a single intuitive UI
- Search, browse and control graphics element
- Jump to next/previous support
- Multiple copy cut or pastes actions can be achieved by single button press
Within Versio, several fundamental workflows are included in the standard Versio Automation and Content Portal packages: retrieving missing material, managing storage capacity, copying a file and archiving a file. If more advanced functionality is required, these basic workflow processes can be augmented via the addition of the Versio Workflow package.
Workflow is a file orchestration solution that automates workflow processes within Versio. The Versio Workflow package includes more advanced workflow processes to cover several typical transcoding, file transfer and metadata management use cases. The Workflow package is also required for other complex workflows, such as those that require third-party integration components, or for tailored workflow design and deployments.
The Workflow Service package is recommended when you want to:
- Trigger workflows automatically based on new, updated or deleted media in any tracked storage location
- Schedule tasks at fixed times and dates, or on a periodic basis
- Start workflows from external systems such as Imagine Communications automation and media asset management
- Copy, move, delete, rename, check IDs and retrieve metadata from video file servers and other storage
- Archive, restore and transcode
- Monitor storage usage, and automatically email system administrators
- Query the traffic system to extract a purge list
- Import work order lists of material to process
- Design or modify processes with the user interface-based configuration tools (training and support fees applicable
- Extensive library of 3rd party device drivers, with new ones constantly added.
- Missing media from automation including video and graphics assets